New year, new adventure…

I’m hoping that I can be a little more regular with posting in 2009. Someday I’d like to be able to look back at what I’ve written and take a trip down memory lane.

Last night was definitely one to add to the record books. A found a great deal on a 4 wheeler (from a friend of coworker) and bought it late yesterday, then loaded it up on his trailer and headed to MS to duck hunt with his dad and brother. Duck season only lasts two more weeks, so he’s trying to take advantage of it. This trailer is a homemade trailer he’s been working on for weeks, poor guy, but this is the first time he’d used it.

So he’d gotten just past the Kerr road exit on I-40, just outside of Little Rock, when he lost a tire off the trailer. Thank God, he made it to the side of the road and didn’t lose the trailer or the 4 wheeler. He called me just after 6 PM to ask me to load up some ramps and grab some tools, then drive out to meet him. I got there a little after 7 PM. We loaded the 4 wheeler in the back of his truck and headed back to the house.

A little background – A had worked all night long Thursday night and had had about 90 minutes of sleep all day. To say he was tired would be an understatement.

By the time we got to the house, he’d gotten a second wind and was ready to grab a jack and some tools, go buy a trailer tire and head back out to fix it…so that’s what we did. We got to Lowe’s just as they were closing, but the nice girl standing guard at the door let us in to buy a few bolts, lock washers and nuts, along with some Lock Tight thread stuff. We ran thru the Chick-fil-A drive thru and headed out.

By the time we got to the trailer it was around 10 PM. A grabbed the jack and learned it had picked last night to stop working (it’s a pneumatic jack he’s had for years). So he had to lift the trailer every time he had to put a bolt in, and I had to try to turn the tire and line things up. It took more than just a while to get it done, and neither of us were very happy by the time we got on the road. The trailer was wagging from side to side and we were both worried it wouldn’t make it back…we stopped twice to try to fix it but finally found if we got above 60 mph, it was fine (it was an empty trailer at that point; we’d left the 4 wheeler at home.

On the way back, A was saying he felt fine, wasn’t tired, and would probably try to leave the house about 2 AM to go on over to MS and meet up with his dad and brother to hunt. Now keep in mind that he’s not going to actually hunt, because he doesn’t have a MS hunting license and it’s pointless to buy one with 2 weeks left in the season. This is all about using the new four wheeler and spending time with his family.

I begged him to stay home and told him I would strap myself to the front of the truck if necessary, but I didn’t want him to go anywhere with everything that had happened and him not getting any sleep. He didn’t want to do it, but he agreed. By the time we got home, it was 1 AM. He took a shower and started playing video games; I went to bed.

I woke up at 2:30 AM because my phone was ringing. He had decided to go anyway, but this time he only made it 15 minutes from the house before the tire came off again.

It was hard, but I was able to bite my tongue and not tell him AGAIN that GOD DIDN’T WANT HIM TO GO TO MS THIS WEEKEND.

So I’m barely awake, but I put on my shoes and jacket to leave to meet him again, wondering where on earth we’re going to find the money to buy another tire since the one we just blew $60 on is now by the side of the interstate, and I can’t find my keys. Why can’t I find my keys? Because A has them…since I drove when we went to fix the flat on the trailer, he’d just left them in the ignition and used them. And…drumroll please….he has his keys too. I have no way to go and meet him.

So he drives his truck down an embankment to try to level the playing field between his tailgate and the ground, so he can drive the 4 wheeler off the trailer and back into the truck. Thank God it worked…but the truck then got stuck. At 3 AM. Fortunately a really nice guy stopped and somehow helped him get unstuck so he got home.

But the trailer is still sitting by the side of the road…less than a mile from the central Arkansas State Police Headquarters. I figure it’s either been towed by now, or there’ s a nice ticket on it. Or maybe they mail those to you? Who knows. I guess we’ll know soon, though…

A has been asleep all day long. It’s now 7:30 PM, and when he does wake up, he says we’ll go buy a new tire, get the trailer home, then return the tire and get our money back since he won’t be using the trailer again.  Which sounds fine and good…but now I’m sleepy. 🙂

edited to add: we went to fix the trailer on Sunday morning and it was still there…no ticket, no note from the state police, nothing. And no trailer tire…which means another $60 down the drain. VERY frustrating. We got it home…where it will stay for the indefinite future.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s